Friday, June 10, 2022

Benjamin Buitoni

Reversal/Nostalgia

So I'm going backwards. I'm obsessional about Dungeons and Dragons - a game I played as a teenager which I recently took up again (as a lot of people have done) when the latest edition came out in 2014.

I've got back in touch with old school-friends as they were happy days for me. Precious memories. 

Well, the sixth-form was at least.

My favourite group is now Abba. As a boy I hated them, though did I secretly like them? I don't know. I remember thinking they were soppy as they sang about love and relationships. I was 12 when they split up, so I guess I was too young and/or the wrong sex. 

For some reason their music completely resonates with 52 year old me. Björn Ulvaeus says there's a happy/sad that that's part of the Swedish character, and that is very prevalent in their music. Lots of other studies show that the verse/chorus patterns and the sing-a-long-ability of their songs also resonates in our brains.

(However, some of the songs are deceptively difficult to sing and the harmonies very, very difficult!)

Jacqui and I are going to see them on Sunday. I'm wearing my sunflower lanyard for the first time as I think I will be an emotional mess. The concert is apparently incredibly immersive and emotional. 

I don't think, I KNOW I will be an emotional mess.
NOT holograms. Okay?

Dining Realisation

Last week J and I went for lunch in a lovely restaurant in Surbiton. We were the only ones when we arrived. Some soft funk/fusion music played in the background. It was really agreeable.

We hadn't been for a meal like this since before lockdown.

I was very much in the moment and realised how much I'd deteriorated. So much visual and aural information bombarding me. My brain foggier than ever. Smiling Jacqui in front of me looking so pretty. I was happy but I realised at that point I have about 5 or 6 years left. 

My grandmother used to say stuff like that at Christmas dinner. Lol. 

This realisation didn't make me sad. Those things don't anymore. It's just the way it is.

I'm DEFINITELY retiring after the bay window in Teddington (scheduled for July 22) and liquidating the business. Time to find something else to do, and enjoy what's left while I still can.

Lazy

One part of the realisation above is that I'm finding it harder and harder to motivate myself.

That feeling you get when you know you should be doing something but you're doing nothing instead. When you think of all the friends you haven't spoken to for ages and you still don't contact them. I know that I should clear the back of the van, but I don't. I know I should vacuum the house, order a skip, chase up the DVLA etc etc.

Nothing happens.

I should read that particular book in preparation for Sunday's session. 

I just about manage to do this, still.

I know, I know. You do that exact same thing too. 

Sure you do.





No comments:

Post a Comment