Monday, June 6, 2022

You've been avoiding me.

Remember me? 

Nice guy up the road. He has a spaniel too. We used to stop and chat. Have a middle-aged bloke moan. All good natured. I saw him the other day. He said "Hiya!" and turned right to go up the main road. I'm pretty sure that's not the way he intended to go as the park entrance is on the adjacent road, where he was originally heading.

I don't think he wanted to make contact.

I've had that on social media too. People I thought I had a long history of friendship with: those friends and acquaintances separated by distance or time who you knew really well back in the day. You'd been through formative experiences together, helped each other, fallen out, fallen back in; all the stuff friends do.

Silence from some. I can't help but feel disappointed when that happens. 

A few people (and they are a minority) didn't send me a text or post on Facebook when I did my dramatic "Notification of Dementia" Facebook post back, whenever it was. 

One family in particular really disappointed me by an almost total absence of communication. 

I guess some old friends probably feel awkward, or they may be thinking well, he was always a bit of faux-pas merchant or a loose canon; he must be bloody mental now. 

Or simply 'what do I say?, 'what can I say?'


That's me on the left and you on the right.

The fact is I haven't changed markedly since we last spoke. I am going downhill in many ways, but not so as you'd notice. Not superficially at least.

I still read the paper, have an opinion on almost everything. Yeah - still the same. 

Just more emotional, forget words, absent-minded. That kind of thing. Can't do noise - children's birthday parties would be hell.

(And the rest, but I won't go into details here.)

But it would be nice to see you. 😜







6 comments:

  1. Geraint it’s always a pleasure to see you and discuss a myriad of topics with you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks anonymous person. (It would be great to know who you are!)

      Delete
  2. You are suffering from the same stigma that used to keep cancer hidden from sight. Luckily you/ we have so many friends that are here, still our friends, just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will always be in the other box/venn diagram thing. Hopefully see you in August. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s 4 in the morning and I can’t sleep, so I thought I’d catch up with your blog. I don’t really do Facebook any more other than for business but I do think about you :)

    ReplyDelete