Wednesday, March 2, 2022

I'm a plain-speaking man, Mr Herriot

Bored games

A friend was running a complex game Before Covid (BC) and there were up to 6 players at any session. The game was fantastic; everyone loved their characters and the vivid world they inhabited and how both the game and the characters were developing. 

Since coming out of Lockdown there are just 2 of us. The dynamic of the game for us just didn't function; it required more players for it to work and for other players' input. It felt like we were putting more effort  in and getting less out.

I sent an email to the Games Master (GM) to tell him how I/we felt and that it wasn't working for us and why, and that we would still come to the club but do a manageable board game for the evening instead. 

He's a sensitive chap and he's taken it badly. He always wants to be the GM/DM and doesn't really like playing. He often wants us to play games he's invested in, but we don't, and it's difficult. When you play a new system the rulebooks are needed for you to understand the mechanics of the game. Whilst available as PDFs most of us prefer the actual book. Bear in mind each D&D rulebook is around £30. That's a potentially significant investment. And then there's space, which for a lot of gamers is a bit of an issue.

And it takes a long time to learn these systems, which can be incredibly complicated even for experienced gamers.
D&D Manuals

I'm being more truthful to people these days, since my diagnosis. Now I definitely have less time on the planet I've come to the realisation that I should say how I feel.

"I'll get my own as not everyone is buying their rounds"
"I don't enjoy this anymore and I think we should try something else."

Non-emotional, factual expressions. 

When I worked in offices I would have discussions with colleagues and at meetings would express how the group felt, only to find that everyone had taken a step backwards and were staring at their shoes. 

Thanks guys.

Well it's me myself and I and life is very finite, so I am going to tell you what I think. In the past I used to hold onto stuff, being poor at confrontation, and these things would well-up inside of me like a volcano, then burst out like the big bang. I didn't know I was being rude and aggressive, but people told me I was. Nowadays I'm just going to let it out as quickly as appropriate and the results are proving much better for everyone. 

It's taken me 52 years to work this one out.

The Lucid Bit

So I'm feeling really bright and compos mentis at the moment. It's great. I wasn't sure I'd feel this good again. I think it's because I've rested my brain from too much D&D writing! 

Last week I visited my parents. We were having a conversation about wills. We normally have conversations about wills when I visit. They explained everything to me about the money and so forth (I find talking about money so boring) and I understood it. But there was something bugging me. I left the room, just to gather my thoughts. How can I tell them? No. There's no way other than to just tell them straight.

I came back to the table and told them they may outlast me, and there was no point in having this money if I was in a state where I couldn't use or benefit from it. Now this is something no parent ever wants to hear from their child, no matter what their ages. But this is the reality that people in our situation have to acknowledge. This was obviously very difficult for them, but I couldn't see any other way of telling them and it needed to be said. If I hadn't said it it would have been bugging me forever. 

We came to an understanding and everything is fine. I'm so sorry for my parents having to deal with this crap so late in their lives. It sucks. But we all have to accept reality.


No comments:

Post a Comment