Monday, January 10, 2022

I'm not mad, I'm demented

I drive Jacqui and R nuts by shouting out 'No' at the breakfast table, as memories I'd rather not have suddenly barge their way in to my consciousness. It's my response to that 'monkey brain' which tries to trip me up most days and put a stick in the spokes. However, my New Year's Resolution to say "So what?" seems to work.

As well as "no" I also say 'Winkle' a lot. I'm not quite sure why I do this.


The other day I was in the supermarket discussing the ripeness of bananas with an elderly lady. (Lol) She said she liked them green. I said these bananas were too green, and that they ripen at 4.33am then turn to mush. By this time she was ignoring me, so I said "I'm completely mad of course. HA HA HA HA!" 

Well I had nothing to lose at that point. And I'm right about the fruit.


So sometimes the dementia is funny. I think that's the thing to remember. It is a crap disease and like Derek and Clive say, "If I'd been creator of the universe I'd have left that out." 

It's easy to look at dementia and be horrified and depressed, but a lot of the things we laugh at are dark and 'gallows humour'. At a grandparent's funeral a family friend who was an undertaker told some hilariously funny stories but he apologised because they sounded better in Welsh - my sister and I don't speak it but the rest of my family do. They were still really funny. Death is a great source of humour. I assume it must always have been the case.

I love taboo humour, and bad taste. I like it when you can't help but laugh rip-roaringly at something you know you shouldn't be laughing at. Those are usually the funniest moments in life.

So perhaps we should laugh with the person who's suffering with the disease when they say something unintentionally daft. And we should laugh at the disease as it's a piece of shit.

I'll continue to try and keep my pecker up and make conversations with people in supermarkets, as I assume my new calling as that resident mad bloke. But remember, I'm really just demented😜

No comments:

Post a Comment